Re: more dash help needed !!

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Justin Angelli" <turbogremlin74@xxxx> wrote:
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "amc74hornet"
> <amc74hornet@xxxx> wrote:
> > --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Justin Angelli"
> <turbogremlin74@xxxx> wrote:
> > > just like "Doc" i too am trying to find the plastic dash frame
> for my
> > > gremmy. Also i was wondering how much wider a amx dash is
> because i
> > > had a crazy idea to install one my car.
> > >
> > > Justin
> >
> > I would think you are talking about an early AMX or Javelin dash
> before 1971? They are straight across. The later 71-74 Javelin/AMX's
> dashes had more curves than Mata Hari. Oh sorry for you kids she was
> a WW1 fem-fatal spy for the Germans. Being a fabricator for most of
> my life nothing is impossible with the skills or tools you have or
> the size of your wallet. Me personallly I like the 3 hole
> Gremlin/Hornet dash myself as it looks close to the 68-70 Javelin &
> AMX.
> > "Doc"
>

> actualy i was thinking about the later Javelin/AMX dash style,
> because it has more of that racecar feel to it.

Me haveng two 74 Hornets and my son haveing 2 Javelins, a 72 & 74 I know what each one looks like apart. The 74 Javelin in the garage has the dash out of it and I have had the complete dash out of my yellow 74 Hornet a few years ago and right now I am in the process of building a new dash for the orange Hornet so I might have a better grasp on what is needed to do such a conversion and also being a fabricator for over 30 years I can make almost anything in steel plastic and aluminum. This is the almost anything I would not even attempt. Thinking about it for 5 min. & compareing the 2 cars there are so many things to change, modify or parts make i'd pass if I were you. The list of things is to long to even mention. It's more work than it is worth. Add the 3 hole Gauge panel with a tac, find a gauge pod for under the package tray with some custom gauges or even use the factory ones. In my opiion you are biteing off more than you can chew and will end up with a project that will never get done or if it does will cost more in time & money than the car is worth. Just an example it took me 4 hours yesterday to make the bracket to mount the tac in the clock hole on the inst. panel and I used the clock mounting screw holes. It also took 2 1/2 dours the other day to grind away the back of the gauge panel so the tac's bezel would mount flush behind it. Custom fabrication takes time to do and a lot of effort to do it right. Just my 2 cents.
"Doc"