Re: Gremlin 2-seater, 4-seater..

 Obviously, with the low production numbers of the
2-seat Gremlin base car, it wasn't necessarily
"first". It was produced to beat the VW's extremely
low price, so AMC could say legally that they had a
cheaper priced car to compete. Obviously, the 4-seater
is more expensive. It was more a marketing tool than a
serious attempt to sell 2-seaters.
What's funny is, I used to bowl with some people
years ago, and one lady , when she found out I had a
Gremlin ( my GT, the first one I bought in '95 ), she
mentioned SHE also had had a Gremlin, and loved it.
Bought it new, she did. Then she mentioned it only had
2 seats and the hatch didn't open. Naturally, I said
"wha?....", but I did know by then that a 2-seater DID
exist...then she blew my mind, when she said it got
wrecked 4-5 years later, and she wanted another so
bad, she found ANOTHER 2-seater just like it! What are
the odds of not just owning one, but two of them??? (
well, I DO own 2 GTs, of course. :D ) It was too bad
I never got to see any pictures of it, she didnt'
think she ever took any ( unlike me, I love taking
photos, and have them of practically all my cars ).
She died of cancer about 7 years ago, sorry to see her
go.
But anyway, all the 2-seater was was a price-busting
tool by AMC to compete with VW. Much like any car
sales org, they hook ya with the price, then you find
out later it's all a ploy if you don't want a
stripper. Nothing new there, and nothing changed til
today, either. It all still works the same. :D Of
course, we'd all probably like to FIND a 2-seater
Gremlin today. Maybe if I ever get up to that junkyard
in VA with 10 gremlins that are untouched, so I
hear...

Jerry