Re: Chrome paint for dash gauge bezels

Thanks for the advise Doc, I have always thought I was doing something
wrong, but thought it was just the paint fumes! I may add that several 69
AMX & Javelin hooded overlays Mr. G's have done for me, had the tunnels
chromed (few early 69's had this option, and it was quickly outlawed by the
federal govermnet as it made it extremely hard to read the gauges, the
tunnels would bend and reflect the gauge and looked, well, looked like you
were on lsd) but they did a excellent job, about $125 for each unit, that
was years ago however. I thought about having them do the overlay on my 69
SC/Rambler 'wagon' and then decided it would probably look great gloss
black, and turned out really good. Pulled out the unit and sprayed it with 5
coats, all the gauges were taken out and here is a photo of the result, and
it is striking to look at up close, had some local AMCers stop by yesterday
and thought it look 'modern' was one's word! All that for a $1 store black
can of gloss black! Again, thanks Doc for the advice, your paint and model
building skills and tips is very much appreciated!!!!
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
www.planethoustonamx.com
"Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxx> wrote:
I may add that Mr. G's of Fort Worth listed on my vendors list
professionally rechromes interior plastic pieces for any vehicle. I
personally have never had any success rechroming interior pieces myself with
spray cans, and have tried a variety of methods. Maybe it is just me but it
always ends up worse than began with!
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
www.planethoustonamx.com

Doc replied:
You still have a problem even if you have one of these places rechrome your
plastic parts like the bezels on you inst. panel and that is you have to
mask up the chrome and paint the panel to match the interior. Maybe because
I am a model builder and paint my own stripes this is easy for me. I repair
and paint the panel then mask it up to paint the silver last then top cote
it with clear. If you don't top cote the silver with clear it will smudge
and rub off. The disadvantage to this is that when the clear is applied the
silver loses it's brilliance and takes on a pearl like appearance but will
not rub off. Since this is not a resto job and I like the way the silver
looks since I did my other Hornet the same way I will use the silver with
clear over it. I use 3M Fine Lne Blue tape to mask everything up. This dash
will be basically the same as my other Hornet except with a column shifter
and a factory under package tray gauge pod a friend gave me a few years ago.