Suggestions

For those of you thinking about taking on the task of restoring or rebuilding you car, keep something in mind. You will need a lot of room to store/stash parts. Keep that in mind when designing or building a garage. You can't have too many shelves or storage cabinets.

I would also recommend getting a good felt tip marker and a box of zip-lockbags. Someday you may have a difficult time trying to remember what a particular bracket is or which bolts to use with it. The bags work well for keeping items like interior screws, clamps or fasteners organized. I have my speedometer cluster in a larger zip-lock freezer bag to keep it clean. If you store parts in a box, label the outside with the felt tip marker to readily identify the contents. A permanent marker works good on the baggies also.

If you want salvage parts, save all the nuts and bolts.......even if they aren't in the best condition. Be sure to keep all the matching parts together and identify them for future use.  If nothing else, the used nuts and bolts can be used to match with new ones later. It can be frustrating, trying to figure out what, went where!

Several years ago, I thought a small parts washer would be a good addition for my garage.  It turned out to be a waste of money. It is sitting inthe corner of my garage, still unused. I never even put a cleaning solution in it. For cleaning the grease and grim off my Gremlin parts, I'd used Easy-Off oven cleaner from an aerosol can. Small wire brushes and Scotch-Brite pads help speed things up too. Think about it before you put hard earned money on something that will get minimal use. It's money that could be better spent on AMC parts or supplies.

It is also a good idea to have a place to store all your aerosol cans. My solution involves an old refrigerator. The shelves on the door work great. Remove all the screws and the door seal. Once you have it apart, nail or screw the shelf unit to the wall. It works great.

Rick