Re: keep the 904 or get a th400? or 727?

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Plumpy72@xxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 1/26/2004 7:35:05 PM Central Standard Time,
> dsinks@xxxx writes:
>
> > Although i am finding it hard to find a flexplate since i dont know what
> > year my 401 is.
>

> One thing you can look for is the type of valve train on the heads. Does it
> have the adjustable or non-adjustable rockers? If I remember correctly,
> adjustable rockers were only available the first two years of production on the 401.
>
> Why should the year matter anyway? Weren't all the 401 cranks the same?
>
> Rick

I think the only difference in the cranks between 71 an later cranks is the 71 will only take a Borg Warner trans and not take a torqueflite due to machineing for the torque converter. Adapters are available to mount a later trans to the Warner style crank. Also there may be a balancing issiue. I would take the T-400 plate and have the 727 plate ballanced to match just to be on the safe side and install it in the same position. There was just such a discussion about this on the AMX Files.
"Doc"