Stumped, 401 to 904 flex plate.

I havent a clue what year my 401 is. I got it from a friend that
bought it as a rebuild from RECON IND. He thinks its mid 70's but
that falls right into the change from years to years.

>From What I Gather there is two flexplates I can use but only if the
motor matches the paticular year. Im just trying to get all my parts
here this week. Im yanking the 304 next week and putting the 401 in
if I can get the swap planned out.

Is there a way to figure out which year engine I have or can I tell
from the crank shaft? It has th400 flex plate on it now. Can I use
that flexplate to mate it to my 904?

Please help if you can.
Dennis Sinks