Re: Should I save it. (priorities)

One thing I wish to add to this thread is that even without money there is
still a lot to accomplish on the respective vehicles. Since there are four
vehicles, one could play 'musical parts' whether something simple like a
headlight, or radio. When I was 14 we were so poor we didn't have
electricity, which many people take or granted. Nor hot water. I did have a
61 Rambler wagon, and we 'tinkered' with it, even though I could only drive
it up and down the feeder road next to I-37 where we lived.

I installed a carpet set in it from scraps found behind the Beale's carpet
store on Leopard Street. No it was not correct by any means! AMC never made
PLAID floor carpet. But I learned how to cut, place, glue and install carpet
with it. And it was free except the glue was $1.75. For a 49 cent paint can
I learned how to touch up a fender. For free there was a nice cush pillow we
used and pulled out the front driver seat and worked it under the springs to
fit, that was better to sit on that factory. I could go on. But the feelings
of something accomplished, something created from nothing still remain as
memories three decades later.

As for lack of knowledge and experience, surely there must be some area AMC
chapters in your region. Possibly some of the members could show you their
shop. Maybe dad will allow you to co to a cruise night if you get home at a
decent time, maybe dad will go with you? Sometimes seeing others with their
cars is a nice 'jump start' to long dormant projects. I can't tell yuo how
many times people have come to our AMC SW Regional down here and seen other
AMCs, gotten ideas and went home only to show up next year with their
car....whether in primer, or unfinished project, or even finished, seeing
others cars is sometimes the kick one needs to get going on it again.

I understand the frustration at being in limbo at your age. However, even
though you may not agree with all the parents say and do, they are still
your parents for four more years. You can replace the old piece of iron, you
can't ever replace your parents. I would give back ever 291 AMCs I have ever
owned to see my mother one more time. Just for one minute to tell her I love
her, nothing more. She passed away in 1988. I always thought she was just
out to get me, and make my life miserable as a teenager. No, she was being a
parent. At the risk of sounding cliche, as my parents used to say 'one day
you will have kids too'. Yes, and my oldest daughter just turned 25, and
youngest son is approaching a year old now next month. And I have a number
of gray hairs to show that mom was right. I thought she was wrong all those
years but she was indeed right. And again, I leanred from it even though I
didn't want to.

As for not being able to work, while not familiar with the laws in every
state, there are kids, and I mean kids, who cut lawns here in our
neighborhood, $25-$50 per lawn. I asked Edwin, who is 14 also, how much him
and his buddy make a day. He said about $100-$150 each. Not bad money for
someone who don't have to claim taxes yet! And don't have to pay mortgage,
college, electricity, gas, water, sewage, credit cards......And no, he or
anyone don't have to make a career of cutting lawns either, but a source of
income at that age teaches a whole lot of lessons that have yet to be
learned in life.

You have a jump start with the 'have to prioritize' statement, that is a
godo thing as Martha Stewart would say! How many 14 year olds have four
cars, much less one car? Sure, they might all be projects, but again, focus
on the ONE that would be the easiest to get running/driving condition. The
others can use tarps or car covers for another day down the road. Confucious
say 'to try to do too many things at once is usually to do neither'. Wise
old fart that Confusie guy. Looks like he has Doc's beard too.

Dave mentioned he was working at 15. I was working at 14 at a place called
Char-Boy. I don't want to hear any jokes about that, but pay for being a fry
cook/dushwasher/janitor/busboy was $1.50 a hour 1973. And the boss, some
lady whose face looked like Manuel Noriega, pineapple face with cat eye
glasses, still 30 years later have nightmares about her. Mom was happy I was
working but think about the wages for a moment, in today's money you are
working for a Slurpee a hour. I lasted two months there before I quit.

It has been 30 years since I have seen 14. Kids/young adults today have a
lot more burden on them I would guess than I, maybe others had at that age.
They are exposed to a lot more, whether internet, media, and are under a LOT
of pressure to excel in classes and studies, which may or may not interest
them, or may or may not benefit them later on in life.
Some stuff sticks with you, other do not, every day will be yet another
chapter, but you never stop learning in life. I still know where Ulan Bator
is the capital of, and how many time zones Russia has, or how many states in
the US don't use Daylight Savings. But who gives a rat's ass?

In a recent conversation with a fellow AMC fan, he told me that 'people
assume you have been in the hobby for so long you know everything' of which
I never thought of. I don't know jack. I might know more than the average
bear, but I don't rebuild engines, trans, brakes, nor do I have the time and
patience of putting together a model like Doc mentioned even though I have
hundreds of them in ther attic unbuild MIB. That is way I was trying to
persuade Doc to share his info on models, plastics, glue, even x-acto
knives. To learn!

So please do not take any of this wrong, we are, or should be, all friends
here with a common interest. Everyone's parents will always want what is
best for their offspring, even though sometimes it may not seem like it!
And stick with the studies, even though that probably sucks and seems
endless, it might be, as if you go to college, expect another 7-12 years of
it. Again, while the frustration of not being able to get a job due to age,
or watching the AMCs slowly sit can be maddening, hopefully as you have
already stated, can put everything in perspective and concentrate on what is
most important, and hopefully juggle the many things a teenager is
confronted with in these troubling, and sometimes, trying times! Good luck
to you with school, and the cars!
Eddie Stakes' Planet Houston AMX
www.planethoustonamx.com