From: Plumpy72@xxxx
To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 4:29 AM
Subject: Re: [BaadAssGremlins] re: my cars w/pix

Hey Eddie

You ready to sell me that '77 Hornet/AMX front air dam off your Gremlin yet? : )

Rick

------=_NextPart_001_0114_01C3C54F.406A4360

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Not sure who asked this question but thought I
would answer it possibly. As for the front air dams for 77 Hornet AMX and 78
Concord AMX: Many times when you have a item reproduced, the original is
sacrificed to make the reproduction. Here are three examples, the aMX Dealership
Racing Posters I had were destroyed ($450 for the set of NOS ones) to make a
"run" of reproductions:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://ep.com/js/mi/n0/1662693.html";>http://ep.com/js/mi/n0/1662693.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Same with the new AMX dealership 1981 release
poster, which I had a NOS one which could have EASILY fetched $500, as usedones
sell for $150+++:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://ep.com/js/mi/n0/1662708.html";>http://ep.com/js/mi/n0/1662708.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Or, here, these stainless front
spoilers:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://ep.com/js/mi/n0/1468367.html";>http://ep.com/js/mi/n0/1468367.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The companies have to use many items as templates.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I don't think a front fiberglass spoiler made from
a 77-78 AMX would be a good idea. Why? These were rubberized for a reason. They
hit all sorts of road debris. And curbs, something as simple as pulling into a
7-11 could cost you a rare hard to find part. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>And here is another thought for you. AMC CHANGED
the design of the 77-78 front air dams/spoilers in 1979 as too many were getting
destroyed. Furthermore the wind pressure on them were ripping apart the corner
end pieces where they were mounted to. Have you ever seen how these were
originally bolted up? It is one of the most cheesiest thigns you will ever seen,
something like four Phillips screws, hell, they would blow off in a 15 MPH
school zone. But more importantly, AMC realized this and SPLIT the front
spoilers for 79 to release stress on the unit. This continued thru 80 model
year. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Back to the 77-78 spoilers. If you do have
something like this reproduced in fiberglass, it damned well better have a rear
support, be light, flexable, and have extra provisions on the ends to support
the pull/drag at speeds over 50 mph, other wise you will easily see it in your
rear view mirror following you. This might be a reason no one has (vendors)
tackled this project. If someone wants to use same materials, good luck, asthat
would be expensive to do, similiar to plastic injection, and start up costs
alone would be $10K-$20K for a limited run. You would never make your money
back, as you have to take into account how few people would want them, and how
fewers cars still exist. I would guess that of the 5300+ or - 77 AMXs made
(according to the Hornet AMX Registry, there are other figures that estimate it
at only 2407 made) either way, AMC had some very SERIOUS QUALITY CONTROL
problems in 76, 77, 78, and a big general strike hurt them, and the undercoating
is almost non existent on these years. As for 78 AMX only 1931 made. But I
guarantee you less than 300-350 exist of either model. And then again, of those,
how many people would want one? So your target maket would be tiny and you would
be stuck with a big investment and zero return and no one to sell them to.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>That is why we see some things reproduced,and
other we all fight over the scraps like vultures. Either way, those front air
dams are few and far between. For any late model AMX. If however you do decide
to have just a few made, and can keep costs reasonable on a small run, thenyou
might consider it, but again, AMC changed the design because of wind drag. And
fiberglass gives no quarter that low to the ground unless backed up with
brackets! Eddie Stakes' Planet Houston AMX <A
href="http://www.planethoustonamx.com";>www.planethoustonamx.com</A>
</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV
style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
<A title=Plumpy72@xxxx href="mailto:Plumpy72@xxxx";>Plumpy72@xxxxxxx</A>
</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A
title=BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
href="mailto:BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>
</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, December 18, 2003 4:29
AM</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [BaadAssGremlins] re:my
cars w/pix</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT lang=0 face=Arial size=2
FAMILY="SANSSERIF" PTSIZE="10">Hey Eddie<BR><BR>You ready to sell me that '77
Hornet/AMX front air dam off your Gremlin yet? : )<BR><BR>Rick</FONT>
<BR><BR><TT>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<BR><A
href="mailto:BaadAssGremlins-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>BaadAssGremlins-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A><BR><BR></TT><BR><BR><BR><TT>
<HR width=500>
<B>Yahoo! Groups Links</B><BR>
<UL>
<LI>To visit your group on the web, go to:<BR><A
href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BaadAssGremlins/";>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BaadAssGremlins/</A><BR>&nbsp;

<LI>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<BR><A
href="mailto:BaadAssGremlins-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Unsubscribe";>BaadAssGremlins-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A><BR>&nbsp;

<LI>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <A
href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>Yahoo! Terms of Service</A>.
</LI></UL></TT><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0114_01C3C54F.406A4360--