[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Gremlin GT

Here is a original ad off my website:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_Nascar/amc%20ads/78_gremlin_gt_ad.jpg
And I have NOS 1978 color catalogs for $9 + $2.50 shipping:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts%20&%20Literature/78_NOS_CC.JPG
The GT package on the last year Gremlin was a $649 option. The gauge package
John Rosa mentions was $75 more, but was a no charge with the GT package.
You see those AMC AM/FM/CB radios on ebay from time to time, new it was a
$299 option. But it was NOT available on Gremlin Series. There were 22,104
Gremlins made in their last year with only 1575 if I recall with a V8. Have
never seen a V8 GT Gremlin however. 6300+ were four bangers, minus the V8s
and you have the rest in 232/258. This was a really attractive package.
However, the press got after AMC due to quality control on all their models,
as a strike in 1977 cost AMC, and many 76 models were still on lots,
especially Pacer and Gremlin. And the Matador sales slipped a staggering
37%, while Gremlin dropped 12% and Pacer 23%. Amazingly enough however,
after a whopping $46.3 million loss in 1976, AMC was Back In Black for 1977
($8.3 million). But again, had to shut down production several times. Model
Year profuction was 137,860 which was 1.55% of the whiole industry total,
not bad. North American procution for 1978 was 175,204 cars (10,129 four
bangers, 145,467 six bangers and 19608 V8 bangers) And calender year
production was 164,351 and Concord flew off the shelves with a monster debut
of 108,414 sold!

I do not believe there is any breakdown of how many Gremlin GT's were sold.
It would have been few though, my guess is less than 1000. Sadly enough,
Renault began talks with AMC in 1978, so the writing was on the French wall.

There is a file on my website under "parts" titled "How Many Are Left?" but
don't go into Gremlins at all, much less the GT. I consider the 70-71 two
seat Gremlins the most collectible, but the GT would be right behind them.
As would any V8 Gremlin. All are worth picking up. There is a fellow named
Jerry Casper who is/was on here, but he has several in virginia, really nice
fellow to talk to. Good luck with your Gremlin.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx