RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 1973 Hornet bumpers

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 1973 Hornet bumpers

JJ,

My front is the same as yours, tho your white
filler panel is making things look much worse
than they are. See this photo for how a matched
filler helps the look.

I couldn't tell you how to 'close the gap' as
I've never done it.

But here's a tip that **might** help- AMC Eagles
wore the same bumpers as their 2WD sisters, the
Concords. But because Eagles were classified as
'Multi-Purpose Vehicles' or MPVs, they were exempt
the 5mph bumper standard. Thus, to save a few
bucks per car, AMC did NOT equip Eagles with the
5mph mounts...which resulted in the bumpers being
much closer to the body than the same bumper on
a Concord. If you look at pictures of each, you'll
see that 81-88 Eagles bumpers were so close to
the body that the end caps were 'flowed' into the
plastic wheel flares. Concords got smaller caps
that just 'floated' at the ends of the stand-off
bumpers.

I haven't checked, but if the same thinking was
in use when Hornets got the new bumpers, it's
possible that the mounts off a 1970-72 Gremlin
or Hornet could be used on a later model to tuck
the bumpers in.

John W Rosa
http://www.JavelinAMX.com

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used