Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Classic Car Insurance ...are they nuts?

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Classic Car Insurance ...are they nuts?

First of all John have you never had classic insurance before? Which
Insurance company was this? I got the run around from Taylor when I went
to get classic insurance on my yellow Hornet 6 years ago, it was 24
years old at the time. My friend has all his cars insured with Taylor so
he recommended them. They gave me a song and dance about mileage and
that the car was only 24 years old not 25. Then I was told that my daily
driver had to be no older than 5 years old, my 77 Malibu was 21 years
old at the time. The thing I did do is speak to them in person on the
phone. I like to have a person with a pulse to answer my questions not a
machine or wait for an E-Mail reply. All this BS took a few weeks to
finally come  to a head, since I was in no hurry at the time I didn't
press them. My son came home with a Hemmings and I looked in it for
classic insurance companies. The first one I called on the phone gave me
the phone no# and address of the nearest agent which was about a 40
minute drive one way from me on Long Island. I don't remember the name
of the company but it has been bought out and is now Hagerty. I spoke to
the agent on the phone, my friend drove me out there. I had all the
necessary papers and pictures he required when I went out there. There
was only one minor glitch in the works and that was that the car was
only 24 years old not 25. But since I was the original owner and in his
words " I was dedicated to this car I would be approved". The thing was
that since the car was not 25 years old I would have to pay 145$ for the
first years insurance and it would go down to 85$ when it was to be
re-newed. He was a man of his word. He didn't care how old my daily
driver was as long as I had a current registration and a current
insurance card which I had with me. There is no mileage limitation. One
other thing I noticed pictures of a 53 Vette on his desk along with a
few 53 Vette models. It turns out that he owns a 53 Vette and I had seen
it and him and his car on an episode of My Classic Car. So I wasent just
dealing with an employee of the insurance company but a REAL CAR GUY. I
was approved and had my insurance in 10 days. So last october when I
bought my orange Hornet I called him up for insurance on a monday
morning. I gave him the vin no# and told him I had taken the required
pictures and would have them in the mail monday afternoon. He said fine.
My insurance cards arrived Wednesday. He apparently sent them out before
receiving my check for the extra cars insurance or the pictures of the
car. So I bought the car on saturday, called for insurance on monday and
had my plates and was driving it on thursday. It costs me 145$ a year
for both cars with a towing plan. With the company you have John I would
seriously be worried if I ever had to make a claim. If  do I have a
person with a pulse to talk to not a machine.
"Doc"

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used

--- Begin Message ---
Hey Doc.....this is getting like your mechanical
issues!!

Soooooo........After looking at a bunch of different
'Collector Car' insurers, I chose one because they
had an online price quote system, had no mileage
limit, and were based one state west of here...
among other reasons that just about all the other
insurers also had.

The online quote stated $65/year for my new Hornet.
I requested an application, then received it by mail.
It specified a $100 premium, with no explanation for
the increase over the online rate.

I returned it filled out with my check for $100 and
the required 2 clear photos of the car. A week later,
I receive a notice of denial for these three reasons:

1- 'Youthful endorsement not filled out'
[This form indicated it applied to households that
HAVE drivers under the age of 25, which mine does
not, so I had returned it marked 'Not Applicable']

2- 'Mileage appears unrealistic for a collector vehicle'
[The application asked how many miles I intended to
drive it annually. Since their website stated they
had no mileage limit, I had simply said 5000 miles to
give myself LOTS of leeway if the car ever did make a
long run or two to cross-country shows...but if they
have no limit, what the heck is the problem?]

3- 'Vehicle does not appear garaged'
[They asked for 2 photos of the CAR, not of the GARAGE!
Was I supposed to put it inside, close the door and take
two shots of the car through the freakin' window???]

I fired off a hastily written and not-very-friendly Email
to them early this week. I got no response until today
when in my regular mail was the same form, now marked
'pending approval'. Now they want:

1- 'Garage photo required'
[...as if that's proof I'll keep it in there. Silly.]

2- 'Photos of vehicle interior and engine'
[..and maybe one of the inside of the gas tank?]

3- 'Signed and Notarized Youthful Endorsement form'
[..despite no such folks living here]

4- 'Payment required in the amount of $100'
[I'm sending the very same damn check I sent the first time]

No where did they bother to waste any words apologizing
or explaining the previous denial. I guess I'm supposed
to feel honored enough that they've reconsidered.

John W Rosa
http://www.JavelinAMX.com

--- End Message ---