RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: vinyl roofs (was ebay something or another0

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: vinyl roofs (was ebay something or another0

Being in the rust-belt northeast, we get a LOT of
rust problems. But they are mainly a lower-body or
frame issue. Sure, I've seen some vinyl top cars
with bubbling under the vinyl, or 20+ year old cars
that have pillar or roof rot due to long-neglected
vinyl tears or seam lifting. But vinyl tops still
seem quite popular up here and rarely is it a major
rot issue....more the exception than the rule in my
experience. I will say that when it HAS been a big
issue, it has been on AMCs...but then, I don't deal
with many 20+ year old big three cars, so the issue
could be a matter of vintage vinyl materials.

In any case, if the opportunity presents itself (as
in finding my piece of missing trim, and funds
availability) I hope to re-install my car's Cinnamon
Vinyl Top as soon as feasible....first, because it's
original and correct for my car, and second, because
it's not a contrasting color....it will blend in just
fine without breaking up the car's 'flow'...and third,
cuz the car will rarely see foul weather and will be
garaged when not on display. The chances of it causing
real problems are very remote....and lastly, I'm sure
modern vinyl materials have improved enough to eliminate
any moisture penetration and trapping problems.

Your mileage may vary. :)

John