[BaadAssGremlins] Re: vinyl roofs (was ebay something or another0

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: vinyl roofs (was ebay something or another0

I want to add that here in the south, many people remove their vinyl tops as
they are nothing more than a huge sponge sitting on your car. The humidity
levels here are year round about 60%-80%, and yesterday was 97% with rain,
today on the west side of whatever that burrito hurricane that formed in the
Gulf last night due to refried beans, the humidity was down to 59% with
light northeast, dry, wind.

But you take a vehicle, no matter what year, new or old, and if it is
outside, which most cars normally are, every morning it is soaked. Even in
the evening. Lots of times I get off work at 2-4 in the morning and drive
for several miles down I-10 while the dewwilly goes away, wipers going, and
beads/drops flying off the lip of the hood and onto the windshield. It is no
big deal.

However, it is the sole reason that every AMC I have ever owned (with the
exception of the 77 Matador Barcelona) I tear off the vinyl roofs. It will
save your vehicle from roof rot. Yes, rust forms along the rain side
moldings, and bottom of front windshield and lower rear glass. This probably
don't affect many parts of the country, except those with high humidities
like here along the gulf of Mexico. I don't know about the other coasts. But
since most of my cars, including showcars, are driven, vinyl roofs are
removed and painted over. Some, like 71-72 AMX/Javelins with fake split
t-top vinyl, I have POR-15ed those areas, and it looks great and passes
muster at judging even though not stock, looks like a shadow mask roof.

Good luck whatever your decision, I would guess some others here in high
humidity areas could comment on this type of rot and rust.
Eddie Stakes
www.planethoustonamx.com
*Volume of email is HEAVY.
Reply times currently