Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Ivan the Terrible

From: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2004/09/19 Sun AM 12:34:51 EDT
To: <BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Ivan the Terrible

Its the same here on the 'Treasure Coast'condo after condo after condo,all WILL become new jettys if we get hit with another Francis or if an Ivan or worse came around again,i've been through prob close to 10 canes in my lifetime the worst one i don't remember but have pics where i was 3 back in 1979 in New Orleans floating on a piece of wood.Yeup...Canes suck arse!!
Bart

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used

Speaking of dry Texas winds Lu, it has been HOT here, hotter than normal, it
was about 96 today, ozone watch, dusty, dry mouth hot. Usually we have the
humidity but ever since Ivan got off the coast of Cuba it has been hot, as
we were on the clean side of the hurricane. Have seen a lot of the pictures
from FL, AL, MS and LA of the destruction.

You know what bothers me the most about all this is that people will
continue to build and build along the Gulf coast. I have said it a million
times. When we got hit with Celia in Corpus Christi, TX Aug 3rd, 1970, it
was a devastating hurricane, we lost both houses, and ever Rambler had the
glass busted out, we lived one mile from CC Bay. The wind gauge at CC INt
Airport broke at 161mph and 'unofficial gusts' were as high as 210mph.

But Corpus didn't learn it's lesson, and suddenly you have all this
development not only along downtown and north beach, but also Aranses Pass,
St Joe's Island, Mustang Island, Padre Island, Flour Bluff, gez, you name
it, big 20 story condos, townhomes, hotels, and $250K+++ houses going up. So
then in Aug 1980, almost a decade after Celia tore Corpus a new asshole,
Allen is looming in the Gulf of Mexico.

And covers the whole damned Gulf. When it hit, it was not as bad as Celia,
however, the storm surge washed COMPLETELY OVER PADRE ISLAND, and hundreds
of expensive houses were floating in the Intercoastal waterway or washed
away period into the Gulf. Padre Island was cut in half at Baffin Bay!

Fast forward 24 years later to 2004. Tons of tall buildings have sprouted up
in CC, and gues what, a majority of them are glass covered, that is, the
exteriors are mostly glass, not a mix of concrete/cement and glass. And yes,
Padre Island has rebuilt a ton of condos, townhomes, and expensive houses on
the Island.

I'm not against development at all, however there is a old saying that those
who don't learn history are doomed to repeat it. It is a disaster waiting to
happen.

So I'm seeing stories now about how some people in Ivan's path did not heed
the evacuation calls, some said before the storm 'they had seen hurricanes
before' or 'wanted to stay with their pets' now they are being buried with
their pets or rescuers are still looking for those people who chose to stay
behind. I see this truck, ok, 1/2 of a truck sitting on the I-10 bridge that
was washed away, along with the other 1/2 of the truck and the cab, with the
driver still in it. The guy was from Texas, what in the holy hell was this
guy thinking driving a big rig in a hurricane with 16 foot storm surges??!!
Was his job so damned important that it was worth his life? Sometimes I
simply just wonder about what is going thru some of these folks minds.

If you ever get a chance to watch The Weather Channel's special about
"Isaac's Storm" which is abuot the Galveston Hurricane in 1900,
http://www.randomhouse.com/features/isaacsstorm/greatstorm/photothumb.html
you need to see it. Chilling. 10,000 people dead. It can still happen. how
many of you remember Mitch a few years ago in 1998 with 10,000-15,000 dead
when it sat  in Honduras with rain, more rain, and before it hit had 180mph
SUSTAINED winds:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/huricane/1998/wmitch.htm

Yup, hurricanes suck. The worst part of them I recall is the damned howl of
the winds. It's something you never forget as long as you live. Good to hear
many of you are fine and damage is not as bad as some of the stuff that has
been shown on television the past several days!
Eddie Stakes
www.planethoustonamx.com
*Volume of email is HEAVY.
Reply times currently