Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Chrome plating

Check this out, saw it the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cTpSZ1l8

From: gremlin_corvette_guy <gremlin_corvette_guy@xxxxxxxxx>
To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:09 PM
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Chrome plating

Hey guys, Has anyone ever had any good luck with finding a decent place to chrome plate AMC volcano wheel center caps? I had a reputable plater tell me just today that because they are diecast if there are any pits or bubbles in the chrome that those need to be drilled out individually ($20.00/pit) and filled with a specific lead, then copper plated, polished and chromed one, maybe two times and even then there are no guarantees the chrome may not pit or bubble. Cost - between $250 - $350 PER center cap. If there are repairs to the fins or the edge rim then the cost goes up even higher. I just bought an NOS center cap on ebay last week for $105.00!!! BRAND NEW. I have about 2 dozen older ones at home and they are always for sale on ebay. Would be a great business if there was a way to rechrome cheaply and resell them. And no this guy said the spray on chrome guy he knows will guarantee the job for about 1/2 hour and that is it!!
Everbody says places in Mexico do the best jobs cheapest as they don't have all the EPA regulations. What say you Eddie on a Mexican connection for cheap, yet good quality rechroming that will hold up and last? Anyone else had any luck with quality rechroming places? Hajjar here in Michigan does not do car parts as I think was previously suggested. The guy at ABC chrome in Waterford gave me the chroming lesson today. Gary