Re: [AMC-list] 63 440H tire size

Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 16:08:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: d stohler<das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

I jacked up that last post. forgot subject and wrong wheel size.
?
wheel size?I have is 15x7. I have a pair of 205/60/15's on 2 wheels now. they fit fine. 215/75/15's are to big for the rear. hoping some 215/60's will fit and be close to the correct tire size. give it that little/big tire look. that might look cool.

15x7 wheels are great! The only problem is the tire width. If 215/75s are too big, then other 215s won't fit either. The width doesn't change with series (well, not much, sometimes the sidewalls on larger series numbers flex out a little more). IIRC from running my 63 440 sedan 205 was the widest that would comfortably fit in the rear -- still have a little room for loading the suspension down without scrubbing. I ran stock rear springs, new rubber in the eyes, and bolt on overload leafs that fit on the long end of the spring, didn't go under the axle. That stiffened the rear suspension just enough! On the front I ran 12% stiffer springs, stock height. Just ordered 10% stiffer and 1/2" shorter for my Classic wagon -- been meaning to do that for a while now!

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine