Re: [AMC-list] 63 440H tire size?

Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 18:07:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: d stohler<das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

hey folks, hoping someone will be able to tell me a modern metric tire size that would be as close as possible to the stock tire size for a '63 440H with auto trans. I have the factory tsm for a '62 classic/ambo that tells me their tire sizes for what gears. hoping someone will have one for the American they could look up for me? heck, just what ever the book says, I can figure out the modern size from what ever the tsm says. thanks in advance!

Closest to the stock tire size would be a 195/70R15. An easier size to find that works well (and is close) is a 205/70R15 (or a 195/65 or 205/65). I always ran 195 or 205 65s on my 63 440 sedan. 205s are a little wider than normally used on the stock 6" (or is it 6.5"?) wheels, but they fit just fine without "high centering" the tire. I always ran 30 psi in the rear/32 psi in front. A 7" wheel would be a nice upgrade though, and better suited to the 205 tire. You might be able to fit a 215/70, but that's about it. The only problem with a standard 7" wheel is you can't run "dog dish" hubcaps, but 440s came with full size wheel covers. Standard offset (centered, or 3.5" offset for 7" wheels) are what you need. Full size Dodge and Ford rear drive cars through the 80s are good donors.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine