[AMC-list] Tom's crank shaft bolt issue

Hi Tom,

A couple of questions first.  Did you install the oil slinger on the end of the
crank before you installed your timing cover?  Second, I know this is a stupid
question but humor me, do you have the timing chain installed and is it the
correct style?  Did you use a balancer installation tool to fully seat the
balancer before you put the pulley on and then the nut and washer?  If the
answer to all of these is yes, and your balancer is able to keep pulling in
until it rubs against the timing cover, then I think you have an issue with your
balancer or the end of your crank.  The balancer should bottom out on the end of
the crank (not the bolt) well before it hits the timing cover.  You never want
your crank shaft bolt to bottom out inside the crank.  If that happens, you will
not have the proper torque pressure applied to the washer and balancer and you
could potentially strip out the threads in your crank or break off the bolt
inside of it.

Do you know how much thrust end play you had in your crank?  If the crank is
allowed to move back too far, this could be causing your issue.  Your end play
would have to be way off.

Nick
 Alfano Performance
4849-76 st.
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends

Message: 5