[AMC-list] Running without an EGR valve..

[AMC-list] Running without an EGR valve..

Someone left a note about no EGR or anything other than PCV.
In my experience, I like to have a working EGR valve. It prevents engine knock by lowering combustion chamber temperature.
 On my 75 Hornet 232 I experimented, with the valve just left closed, I had to have the timing more retarded than I did with it connected.  I tend to run a little more than specified advance anyway.  I like the way the engine runs.

And on the BBD feedback carb..   I love the thing..

In my experience with the computer and o2 sensor driving the stepper motor.  my '83 Eagle with 332,000 miles now STILL gets 16-18 MPG around town, with a working feedback carb. ( I do have a LOT of blowby anymore though, rings are probably non-existant)   Before you give up on one, try a new O2 sensor and see how it works.  If the computer never goes into (closed loop) mode, it is supposed to put the mixture somewhere in the middle for OK operation without imput from the O2 sensor..
The factory manual gives a fairly easy description of the limited imputs to the computer.  If your stepper motor moves the little piece inside the carb from full out to full in shen you first turn the key on.  both the computer and stepper motor are working..

Jeff