Re: [AMC-list] Aluminum radiator fit

Dear Dan:  So does your 40-over means you really have a 406?   Weren't the AMX/Javelin radiators set-up vertically?  As opposed to the horizontal Buick, for example?   Why not dump the fan & shroud, putting a stacked, twin-fan set-up that's electric and sucking like the stocker.  You Could then add pusher-fans in front of the radiator, although I hear those are not as efficient as a draw-through/"sucker."   I mention the Buick, because their 455s didn't have cooling "issues", so I figured maybe they were larger in sqft/area.   You could, if you hadn't made those great mods, set-up a squirt-type nozzle with alcohol & water, for when you're stuck in traffic or something.

________________________________
 From: Dan Ritzinger <danritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tbmccall <tbmccall@xxxxxxxxx>; "AMC, Rambler, Nash,Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Aluminum radiator fit

The 40-over 401 in my '69 Javelin ran hot from the get-go.  I can't tell you
how many radiators I've had in and out of it trying to get it to run cooler.
The ultimate solution:

- Taylor thermostat
- High-flow aluminum water pump
- Correct fan shroud
- 4-row brass radiator that I purchased from "Extreme Radiator"

Along the way I tried variations of aluminum radiators.  As I recall, one
was even something of a custom job sold by someone associated with NASCAR.
All of the aluminum that I tried - whether 2-row or 3-row - cooled pretty
much identically to my original factory 3-row brass.  Not necessarily a bad
thing - the aluminum ones apparently worked as well as the factory one.
But, in my situation, the 4-row brass was the ultimate solution.  The other
cooling system pieces were in place before I swapped in/out the last several
radiators, so the 4-row was definitely the final determining factor.

In attempting to now check out the Extreme Radiator website - it's gone, I
can't find anything on the web except old forum posts referencing them.
But... seller radiator_expert is selling a similar piece on eBay right now;
do a search on item no. 260752774940.  I can't tell you anything about that
specific piece.  The price seems pretty reasonable:  $300 + shipping.

Again, the aluminum ones worked fine, but I can't say enough about this
4-row brass.  It's the only radiator that I had in the car that would
quickly cool the motor if it had warmed while doing a long-term idle -
simply hold the accelerator down for a few moments, and watch the heat gauge
drop.

FWIW...

Dan