Re: [AMC-list] AMC crossmember & rear end interchange questions

Re: [AMC-list] AMC crossmember & rear end interchange questions

" From: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Eddie. Need some AMC advice. I have a 64 American that I want to swap in an
" AMC v8 drive train into. I know the late model Americans will work but will
" any other late model AMC work? Specifically would a javelin cross member
" work on my American? I have access TJ a really cheap javelin parts car that
" had a 304 V8 in it. Also would the rear end work/fit my American? Thanks for
" your help.
"
" Above I got from facebook 7 told the fellow I would send him any replies.
" There are a number of AMC groups that are on facebook, some really active,
" others I guess there in name only perhaps or nothing going on.

the javelin crossmember won't work; big-car wide.
gremlin/hornet/spirit/concord crossmembers work.  apparently an eagle
crossmember would bolt up too, if you wanted to go 4wd, but you'd have
to rework the front suspension to the later style also...

the american rear is unique among amcs; no other model is as narrow.
rears from some other cars are close matches though; ford maverick,
'73-6 dart/valiant, and 1st-gen ford rangers for 3.  rangers started
to get v6s in the early '90s, just before the 2nd gen restyle, and
those models got 28 spline 8.75" rears.  bolt pattern and housing ends
are the same as mustangs, so they'll take mustang rear disks too.