Re: [AMC-list] First year for AMC bridged rockers?

Re: [AMC-list] First year for AMC bridged rockers?

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/pts/3576368179.html

Nick wrote:
Sorry Frank but you are1 year off. The first full year for the bridge over rockers on the largerV8 heads was 1974. The 73 year castings for the most part were screw in studs.?That is not to say that when production change over started, there were not some late 73 360s or 401s that got the 74 head with the bridge set up. The 304s on the other hand got the bridge overs earlier than the 360-401 head.That maybe why you are seeing something in a 73 manual with a bridge over rocker"

What I am trying to do is establish a possible timeline on bridged rockers. I have always thought that they first appeared in 1974 (production) but occasionally I get something here that simply baffles me and the engine here is one, which has never been apart. In case the craigslist ad goes dead here is the information: "AMC AMX 401 engine, intake to pan. 612Z05 valve cover tag, Date code built December 5th, 1973. Original high volume waterpump AMC part number 3215719. AMC heads 3220502-1. Was coupled to a AMC Torqflite 727, date coded 7-73 (July 73). Has 4 barrel intake, forged steel crank, distributor, and one dogleg exhaust manifold attached. Autolite Motorcraft AMC 4 barrel carburetor available for $100 more. Bring a engine hoist & truck, will help load. $1100 firm. Also have 390 68-69 bare block $700 & 73 401 engine short block with forged steel crank, 7 pistons & rods $600. Need more information call 713-four-6-four-8825 days. West Houston, search PLANET HOUSTON AMX."

I had a customer ask me about it, actually several but all seem as confused as I am about it. The valve cover, flexplate (currently on ebay, but might stop auction) heads, everything original as never been apart, and been stored for years.
Eddie Stakes
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825 days
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx