Re: [AMC-list] AMC six, other engines with TH400

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 19:57:23 -0500 (EST)
From:adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Sandwich Maker)
To:amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Chrysler Turbine Cars in crusher

" From: markprice242<wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Some day we will actually stumble on one of the 232 trucks with a
" Turbo 400 behind the early six. After viewing all the adapters used
" to get the Nailhead trans behind the 327 I'd LOVE to see if it was
" done and how behind the 232.
" Wrambler

i'd love to see that myself, and also how the th400 was adapted to jag
and ferrari v12s and rr v8s.  closest i've come so far is a '70 glad
with a nailhead trans and adapter behind the original buick 350.

The "Nailhead" TH-400 was sold as a "Universal" TH-400 for several years after the Buick Nailhead engine was history (and while it was being produced). The reason is that it had a shallow bell, due to the "skirt" on the back of the Buick engine that covered the flexplate for a couple inches. This left plenty room for manufacturers to design a thick cast adapter. I've seen one on a Jaguar -- it had an adapter similar to the 327 adapter. Dur to the shallow bell ANY engine using the Universal TH-400 would have to have a thick adapter -- unless the block was designed with a skirt like the Buick Nailhead.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine