Re: [AMC-list] 4.0L Swap info

" From: Jim Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I've been following this and have a Q -
"
" Unless I missed it, talk so far has been about using a manual trans;
" what about using the auto OD in a 2WD Cherokee?  Do they have good
" ratios and is it upgradable for use behind a 4L stroker?  It's my
" understanding this was a pretty reliable combo in stock form.

that's the aisin warner aw4 and it does have good ratios.  the aw
factory is half owned by toyota [seiko owns the other half!] and they
used the a340 [their name] on lots of things from 4-cyl cars and
supras to lexus v8s, and even an hd a343 on early tundras.  cars have
moved on to more complicated trannies, but trucks like the hilux pickup
and 4runner used it up to last year even behind diesels.  volvo used it
on 700 and 900 series cars in the '90s.

we did touch on 3sp wrangler autos early in the thread.

" I do have a good used GM 200R4 out of a SS El Camino a friend gave me
" when he moved - I had figured to put this behind a good running 258 in
" a ? most likely a '66-9 American for a driver.  I also have a strong
" used 258 still sitting in a rusty Mat wagon.
"
" I guess the PCS would be an issue on using the GM trans behind a 4L
" block, but not the 258; and either would require a AA or Jeep to
" Turbo400 adapter that was stock in the 70s IIRC.

obdI 4.0s did not integrate the tcm with the ecm; the tranny had its
own little module in xjs and nothing at all in yjs as their auto was
still all-hydraulic, the tf999/32rh.

i don't know what the zj did, but their trannies were always
electronic.