[AMC-list] choke on Carter BBD 8302S on AMC 1981 Spirit 6 cyl 258

[AMC-list] choke on Carter BBD 8302S on AMC 1981 Spirit 6 cyl 258

I ordered the choke pull-off (1C1006) and choke thermostat (2C1007) from
rockauto and they arrived this friday.  Minimal tests of the new parts
(not on the AMC) show the pull-off holds vacuum and moves, and the choke
thermostat measures 2.5 ohms (haven't tried powering it).

With the carburetor still on the AMC, I managed to remove the old
thermostat including the hard to access screw.  It wasn't all that hard,
just not easy and I'm sure it will be harder to get the screws back in.

The gasket between the old thermostat and where it goes is broken,
do I need it?  The new thermostat didn't arrive with a replacement
gasket.

In removing the old pull-off I ran into problems.  The linkage screw
came out fine and one of the T15 head mounting screws.  The other T15
head mounting screw didn't turn.  Twisting harder resulted in the head
stripping out.  I drilled off the head of the screw and got the old
pull-off off the carburetor.

This left the rest of the screw stuck in the mounting hole in the
carburetor air horn.

The new pull-off has a differently shaped mounting bracket and places
for 3 mounting screws instead of two.  Holding the new pull-off up where
it would go shows that there are mounting posts in the air horn casting
for all three screws.

  one empty (where the screw came out),
  one with the remains of the stuck screw in it,
  and one which has never been drilled nor tapped.

I'm still thinking about the next step and am requesting suggestions.

Thoughts for a 2nd mounting screw/hold include:

  remove the stuck screw? (how?)

  drill/tap the 3rd screw position?

  hack up some extra mounting structure connected somewhere
  else on the carburetor for a 2nd mounting point

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you,

Michael