[AMC-list] choke on Carter BBD 8302S on AMC 1981 Spirit 6 cyl 258

[AMC-list] choke on Carter BBD 8302S on AMC 1981 Spirit 6 cyl 258

AMC 1981 Spirit 6 cyl 258 with Carter BBD 8302S carburetor

Car has trouble when cold (dies) but runs great once warm.  This is
southern California, so "cold" is 48F at the coldest and right about
50F first thing in the morning.  Once run a bit it's good all day.

Best guess at last major carburetor service/rebuild was around 2000 with
engine rebuild.

Checking choke shows choke pull-off doesn't hold vacuum.

The electric choke is the single wire type and measures open to ground.
I'm not completely sure on this, I might need better ground or perhaps
the carburetor has a poor ground, but I tried several grounds including
direct to battery negative as well as around carburetor and never
saw anything but open).

Can the choke pull-off and the electric choke be replace without
removing
the carburetor?

I'm worried that the carburetor is tuned just fine now (once warm)
and that removing it or touching it will mess up the adjustments etc.

Oh, the electric choke appears to have 3 screws rather then the manual
described break-off pseudo-rivets.

Any suggested supply places?  I've found several sources of the
pull-off,
but the electric choke seems harder to find.

Thank you,

Michael