Re: [AMC-list] Thinking 'bout transmissions

You could make it work with a little cutting and welding though. It will start in cold weather without the exhaust heat, it will just take a few minutes for it to warm up and run well. How long depends on just how cold it is. I had this problem with my Clifford intake/Holley 390 on a 4.0L head in my J-10. on cold morning ins SC (it gets colder up your way!) I would have to drive at least five minutes for the engine to run smooth. Idling doesn't warm it up very much, needs to be driven. So it took a little foot work to take off smoothly, but after 5-10 minutes it was running great. I made a heat shield to trap exhaust heat under the intake that helped a little, and didn't seem to hurt at all.

-------------
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:37:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Sandwich Maker)

" From: BruceG<bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Cool! If I went with a 2 barrel intake with separate intake/exhaust -
" then I could go with an exhaust manifold from a 4.0? I'd take a hit in
" cold weather starting - but this is Georgia, my car is garaged and I
" might not do a lot of cold weather starting.

nope.  everything lines up except the two center exhaust ports.
they're farther apart on the 4.0 head than 199/232/250 heads.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine