Re: [AMC-list] Thinking 'bout transmissions

Re: [AMC-list] Thinking 'bout transmissions

" From: Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx>
"
" A T-14 was offered starting in 1968. You'll need to modify the drive
" shaft (it either needs to be lengthened or shortened 2 inches, I don't
" recall which) but it will bolt right in place. At some point in the
" early 70's, they changed the splines on the output shaft so you may need
" to use a different front yoke if you end up with one of the last few
" years they were made.

afaik this was the only other tranny that will bolt to the t96
bellhousing.  it also has a synchro 1st.

it's 2" shorter.

they were used with sixes and 2bbl 290s and 304s, and as late as '76
in gremlins.  the spline changed in '72 to match the tf904.

a long early-'70s yoke matched up perfectly with my fine-spline t14
and '68 [non-big-nut] driveshaft.

and if your karma is good, a very rare '68-9 t14+o/d is exactly the
same length as your t96 and needs no driveshaft mods, though you
might want a lower rear axle ratio.

there was also a rare '65-'9 hd bellhousing which took the t86 and t15
used with v8s.  i saw the part number in the mitchell master
interchange manual but in 30 years i've never heard of a real one.

lastly, there's the infamous 'mexican' bellhousing, so called because
amc's mexican partner vam only made sixes, so all their performance
cars were six-based.  this bellhousing puts an amc t10 onto an early
six.  i bought the only one i've ever seen or heard of.  it's iron and
weighs about twice what the t96 bell does, and besides the amc pattern
has meat in the right places for the distinctive gm pattern, but is
way too deep for their tranny input shafts.
--
you might also want to uprate your clutch.  perfection hytest brand
rcf446 disk and c1647 pressure plate are part numbers for the amc hd

you might also have difficulty finding any of these parts now.

" Matt
"
" On 6/17/2012 5:18 PM, BruceG spouted this sage advice:
" > When we pulled the 195.6 from the Rambler, we were not as gentle as we
" > should have been. The tailshaft on the T96 was pulled out a bit. We
" > went to see if we could get it to seat properly, but in the middle of
" > playing with it - we let the roller bearings get loose. I need to find
" > a transmission shop to sort through the T96.
" >
" > But while I'm thinking about it - the 232 is in the Rambler. There
" > seems to be plenty of headroom to go with the Weber carb. I might want
" > to play a little with the engine if I can find Clifford parts at a
" > decent price. (that Clifford intake, header, Holley carb and Clifford
" > valve cover in Nashville seemed awesome! But a bit of a drive. But
" > awesome!) What would be some good alternatives for a manual
" > transmission that should bolt to a '68 232? Or if I were to take the
" > car to a good shop that works with AMCs - trying to decide if I should
" > rebuild the T96, or go with something a little sturdier.
" >
" > I know there aren't a lot of Falcon, Chevy II, Valiant or Dart sedans
" > out there - but I'd like to pretend my Rambler could hold it's own
" > with them.