Re: [AMC-list] 232 engine head.

I think that since Jeep bought rights to the Buick engines (V6 and 350 V8) and cured problems with the V6 before selling them back, they may have kept some of the rights.

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] 232 engine head.

The "overlap" is late 1973. Early 73 models have bridged rockers, 74 went back to shaft. There would be a short time when either could be in late 73 models. 64-72 have shaft rockers
, 75+ is bridged again. The reason was that Buick sued AMC over the bridged rocker design. Don't know how it was resolved -- whether AMC paid Buick for use of the design or it was thrown out of court as non-patentable or not covered by patent, but it was resolved and AMC went back to the bridged rockers.

That last of the 4.0L engines have a stamped steel valve cover. I think 2000-06, but may have been after 2000. Covers don't interchange except over certain range models (87-90, 91-96, 97-99, 00-06... I think) due to differences in the way they bolt to the head.