Re: [AMC-list] 232 engine head.

" From: "Thomas Garner" <Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" It's funny you mentioned oil going up through the pushrods, cause I
" noticed that mine does too. I suppose my engine may have been replaced
" at some point with an early 70's engine OR maybe it has a 4.0 head
" already. IDK. I also noticed the head bolt modification had not been
" performed as explained on Matt's site. I was preparing to do that, but
" was a bit confused about the pushrods bring oil up. Since this appears
" to be a later model engine than I expect, (probably early to mid 70's
" I guess)I probably don't need to do the bolt mod right?

if your rockers are shaft mounted - '64-'74 - they're lubed via the
gallery and may need the bolt mod.  if they're in bridged pairs -
'72-up, and yes there's overlap - they're oiled through the pushrods
and the bolt mod is irrelevant.

if your engine's been rebuilt in the past, it could have the
late-style oiling lifters and pushrods even though the original head
doesn't need them.

you might have a '72-up head but it's less likely you have an entire
'72-up engine, as the bellhousing pattern was changed at that time to
the larger '67-up v8.  it could be adapted with a '67-'74 v8
bellhousing, but that's more work...

major spotting feature: early block - starter under manifolds; late
style - starter over by dist.

afaik no 4.0 heads have tin valve covers.