Re: [AMC-list] AMC-20 Steer axle ?

" From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"    The MJ came with M20 rear option '86 to early '88 (mixed with D44s
" late '86 on) I've only seen 1 XJ M20 rear so far. XJ one will bolt in
" but both shock brackets will need swapping. MJ is SUA. For front M20,
" I would modify one from a CJ rear so it's already offset, but that
" seems overkill in the Eagle. With good oil the D30 withstands V8
" swaps.

this reminds me, just as a note - mil hummers stuck with amc20 diffs,
but civ ones moved away from them at some point.  also, stock hummer
gears are 2.56, 2.73, and 3.07, and if they're reverse cut you won't
find anything else.  3.07s are also recent, with the up-armored
hummers.

"    The 4 cyl axle bracket shouldn't work with the earlier 6 cyls as is
" because the bell pattern isn't the same diameter. Some serious
" offroaders have done solid axle conversions, but that's taking away
" the main reason for having an Eagle in the first place.

i think i have to agree.  it'd be cool but overkill unless you're
planning a firebreathing engine and big tires.

also just a note - some fords [exploders?] have a d35fa; like the jeep
d35ra, developed from the amc15 rear.  the diff is closer to the size
of the d30 than the amc20 is, but by the same token little to
recommend it over the d30 save amc-ness.

" From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
"
" " From: amcngmc@xxxxxxxxx
" "
" " Just watched a show where they made a Dana 80 rear into a D80 front
" " axle. They said this can be done to about any axle.

i'd guess they basically did what dana did in making front axles out
of the d20, d44, d60, and d70 - added knuckles.

" " Now its got me thinking could this be done to an AMC-20 ? ! ?

of course.  d44 parts would be about the right size/strength.  but a
reverse-cut d44fa would be stronger...

" " Than it got me to take it one step further ;-)
" "
" " The humvee's had AM-20 center sections front and rear but were
" " reverse driven as they also had gear reduction hubs . . . Ok now to
" " see where I am going with this :-)
" "
" " 83 Eagle SX/4 with both AMC-20 front and rear axles ! ? ! ? ! Could
" " it be done ? ! ? ! ?
"
" the eagle d30 front diff has a custom housing that bolts to lugs added
" to the 258's block. 4-cyl eagles had a bracket instead, but the amc20
" is likely wider and you could run into halfshaft length and angle
" issues.
"
" otoh an amc20 rear is easy, with some luck: the hd axle in early
" [roughly pre-chrysler] xjs was an amc20, the same width as eagles. i
" don't recall if you'd have to play with perches [sua vs. soa], but
" iirc it does have staggered shocks where the eagle doesn't.