Re: [AMC-list] 1978 258 in to an 85 J-10

Re: [AMC-list] 1978 258 in to an 85 J-10

The exhaust outlet angle should be the same, but it's not a problem in the truck. Later intake exhaust flows better than pre '81. Since you have a stick, the crank pilot isn't an issue unless the pilot is a different diameter (5 speeds sometimes go a little deeper in) Do a spline count too. If you had an auto, you would have to worry about the TH400 sleeve in the crank. Button that to a Mopar style trans without removing the speedi-sleeve thickness insert and kiss your trans front pump goodbye and the trans too from busted bits that will flow around the second you start up.

(ameskg@xxxxxxxxx) wrote: Any reason why an August 1978 258 won't fit in to an 85 J-10?<br /><br />The 258 in the 85 broke yesterday while I was hauling the 78 258 to storage. It appears to be a drop-in to put the 78 in the truck. Both are manual trans engines. One question I have is the exit angle for the exhaust. Are they the same for the 2 different exhausts? Or would it be easier to leave the manifold(s) in place in the truck and bolt them to the earlier engine once it's in? <br /><br />The 78 was being used in an Eagle using the specail differential bracket that goes back to the bell housing rather than up to the block. Hopefully the clutches are compatible and I won't have to swap them.</span><br>