Re: [AMC-list] Car sitting VERY low to the ground

Re: [AMC-list] Car sitting VERY low to the ground

" From: "Thomas Garner" <Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I'm sure it's lower than it was when I first parked it. I went and
" looked at my 63 and it's sitting higher than my 64.
"  I was unable to find the coil springs new, so I put in some spacers
" for now. That seemed to help.
" I was thinking about taking the one's off the 63 and using them, but
" as they obviously used, I'm not certain they would last very long.
" Anybody know where I can get a new set? Is there a way to refresh old
" ones?

springs don't ordinarily sag, especially in 2 years after being good
for nearly 40...  leaf springs can be re-arched and re-tempered but i
don't know of anyone who does that for coils.

iirc there are a couple of places that make new coils for old cars -
eaton detroit and espo if memory serves.  i'd go for stock 'hd' rate -
even those are not firm by modern standards.

to complete the setup, kanter has gas pressure shocks, $200 the set.
gas shocks are actually valved softer than unpressured; shock oil can
serate and 'foam up' a little under suction, requiring tighter valving
to compensate.  gas shocks are never under suction...

if you plan to run radials, remember they do best on wider rims than
bias ply tires like.  14x6" hornet/concord rims shouldn't be
impossible to get, and they can be painted body color if you're
running hubcaps.  nb. on my '66 american they needed thin [1/8"]
spacers to clear the trunnions, not a problem with the lugs.  no body
problems either, even with 205/70s on my car.

i had hd springs and gas shocks on my '67 marlin [232/auto/ps], and
while not 'boaty' or a marshmallow i'd still consider it on the soft
side.  i got started on the upgrade because the rear springs were
dragging when i got the car.