To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 7:41 AM
Subject: [AMC-list] Electric power steering?

Has anyone retrofitted electric power steering on their car?

It looks to be a good option - it fits inline between steering box and column and provides power assist or reverts to manual if power is lost. OEM's have been using them since '93 and these days all are using them in at least some of their models. More power (no hydraulic pump drag) so better mpg as well. From what I can find online, there are several motor types, from brushed DC electric motor - switched reluctance (SR) motors - brushless permanent magnet (BPM) motors.

Something could be retrofitted from boneyard OEM's or kits are also available from the aftermarket that targets the street rod crowd.

It looks interesting to me & would clean up the engine compartment/front of engine, but the only thought is if there is room to put them inline to your stock or box/rack of choice. I'd think they would need to go low just in front of the steering box/rack.

So, has anyone here, or do you know of anyone that has done one to their AMC?

Jim Boone

Mims, FL