Re: [AMC-list] 1963 Aluminum block 196

" From: Jason Tell <jatell@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I bought a 1963 Rambler Classic 770 with the aluminum block 196. The head
" gasket was blown. I had the head checked and it is cracked. Next step is to
" pull the rest of the engine and take it to the engine shop. Based on what
" they find, I will either rebuild the aluminum block engine, in which case I
" need to find a new head that fits the aluminum block, or be in search of a
" replacement all cast iron 196 engine.

just fyi --

if you can't salvage the aluminum mill, you could swap to a
199/232/etc later mill with a '64 [and maybe '65-6] crossmember.  it
might be easier than finding a good iron 196.  frank swygert even put
a jeep 4.0 in using one.