-------------
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:27:03 -0400
From: Jim Boone<fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Frank Swygert<farna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I bet the answer you think you know is YES -- keep the Ford spec stuff. I know an early 5.0L pattern/input length should bolt right up to your existing bell housing. Otherwise spend the $$ on the new bell too.

If you're thinking you might want that deeper bell for whatever reason now would be the time to switch. Otherwise you'll have to buy a new input shaft and bearing retainer to switch bells later. The good thing is you can use the Ford length input now and swap it out later if you want to swap bells. But Jeep bells should still be easy enough to find for a six later.

Frank - thanks for the info -

Going with a Ford spec trans to fill the hole currently done by the T5 would be cheaper - I guess the only reason to go the Lakewood bell would be from a strength outlook.  I would think the stock bellhousing is good for up to ? not sure.  While this will be a street car so hardcore starts/shifts won't be common, having the extra strength - and safety - from a steel bellhousing is worth looking at.  Like most likely everyone here, cost is an issue, and while I don't want to "cheap out" and getting less than would be advisable in this situation, I also don't want to spend many $$$$'s more than I need.

I'm gonna talk to American Powertrain and get some figures and thoughts.

Oh, and I thought that going with the aftermarket bellhousing put it at the Cheby length which is less - something like 7.27" vs 6.(?)" - does that sound right?

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine