Re: [AMC-list] coil truck arm suspenion for t-tube cars

Re: [AMC-list] coil truck arm suspenion for t-tube cars

" From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" this is may be kind of interesting. long winded also. my sister wants to
" build a 67-72 suburban into a 4x4 lifted with a 6bt cummins (the 94-98.5
" 12 valve cummins dodge truck engines) with a 5 or 6 speed manual trans
" ect. last weekend i scored her a '70 5 door suburban c10. its a 1/2ton
" 2wd suburban. didnt notice till today that it is coil sprun rear end
" with truck arms. i had to drive it about 100 miles to my house last
" weekend. WOWSERS!!! it rode and drive better than either one of my 3
" eagles. its been taken care of. anyway. im trying to talk her into
" finding a rolled truck to set the suburban body on, rather than do all
" the maticulous cutting/welding of putting the dodge hd
" suspension/drivetrain into the suburban frame. if she will go that
" route, i may have the truck arm suspension to use. im wanting to put a
" 304/t5 into my '62 classic 2 door. anyone got anything to say about this
" LONG truck arm system? it goes from the axle to a crossmember, and the
" driveshaft passes thru the crossmenber. i just looked under the truck
" today, and noticed this, and kinda got excited that i MIGHT be able to
" use this. rather than using my triangulated 4 link. i like the feel of
" the truck arm, as it lifts the entire truck just like the t-tube does
" rather than lift the front, squat the rear. might be less work also??
" it was just a thought by looking at it today. might be almsot as long
" as the t-tube system as these burbs are LONG.

gm used that coil rear setup on many 1/2t and 3/4t pickups from '58-9
or so up to '71.  afaik it's the inspiration for nascar [and others]
'truck' arms.  didn't catch on, i guess b/c they were too cheap to go
for a full 4-link setup, or it wasn't rugged enough for truck owners
back then.

something modeled on this setup sounds like a straightforward
not-overcomplicated way to convert your '62 to open drive.

why doesn't your sister drop the 'burb body onto an entire dodge
chassis?  wouldn't that be easier than hacking a bastard dodge/gm
hybrid?  btw dunno how much they weigh, but while chevy was putting
327s and 396s into these pickups, gm was powering them with their
monster 305 and 351 v6s.  from http://www.6066gmcguy.org/EngineData.htm
they weigh at least as much as a 4b and almost as much as a 6b.

i agree that the 6b is overkill from any rational viewpoint.  i also
understand that strict rationality may not be guiding this project...