Re: [AMC-list] Fw: 232 motor mounts/interchange questions

Re: [AMC-list] Fw: 232 motor mounts/interchange questions

" From: Tim    buckner428@xxxxxxxxx
"
"
" so.. what id like to do is put a 2004 4.0L (242 cu in) Jeep in a 68
" Scout 800... I am using the a-500 auto trans so trans bolt patterns
" are no issue here... My question is this... The '69-'71 scout 800's
" came with the amc 232 ... I am told that the 4.0 is part of the same
" engine family... Are the motor mount Bosses the same on the 232/258
" and the 4.0 (242)?...I am thinking if I get the right engine towers
" and the right mounts that this will be a direct fit.... Thanks in
" advance.

several things.

1. afaik mopar never made an a500 with an amc pattern.  they did make
the electronic version, 42re, and used it in grand cherokees.
they have made various tf900s and tf727s and 30re and 32re, but their
only 4sp auto with an amc pattern is the 42re, and if your '04 4.0
came out of a grand this would be the tranny with it.

afaik there are no amc ultrabells one might use as an adapter.

2. i am sure that up to '99 or so, all the original bosses are still
there, even the ones for the eagle front diff, which was engine
mounted!  jeep didn't use the same mount holes though, so one of the
amc ones was enlarged to 12mm for the '87-'90 'renix' knock sensor;
easy way to handle that is ream your mount and use a 12mm bolt.

in '99/'00 they redesigned the 4.0 block - for about the 4th time -
and i am -not- sure if the old amc mounts are still there.  on these
new blocks the oil filter boss is flat to the block; up to '99 it
projected and angled down the same as the 199/232/258.  on those you
can remove the 4.0 right-angle adapter and put the old amc filter
nipple on.
--
keeping the original transfer case?  i'm curious to know if there were
ever any dodges with tf904s and dana 18s or 20s.  tf727s i've heard

i naively assume that tranny-t/c adapters are different for tf900s,
tf727s, and the various 4sp autos.