Re: [AMC-list] AMC-list Digest, Vol 33, Issue 4

Re: [AMC-list] AMC-list Digest, Vol 33, Issue 4

I have a T5 behind my '70 390.  It replaced a 4 speed in my '69 Rambler (American).

I bought my setup off ebay; it had been behind a 304 in a Spirit iirc, but you need a mulitpattern bell that was in Jeeps and fairly common - find one that has all the clutch actuation parts.  You'll also need to fab up a trans mount; on mine we used the 4 sp mount but had to cut it on both sides and lower the middle, then weld in some steel for the drop.

I will probably replace this at some point with a Tremec TKO 500 or 600 with the roadracing gears as it is more even ratio spacing plus stouter for a 390's grunt.  My T5 has a steep 1st and the OD is something like .68 so if you put low gears in it makes 1st almost unusable and if you have 3.15's like I do (because of the 4 sp in it before) then 5th drops it too much until you're doing 70 or better - at least with my cammed up motor.  I have a set of 3.54's that I'll put back in eventually - I have a pinion leak that needs to be addressed as well so will do both at the same time.

My pipe dream is to find another clean American or ? and put this T5 behind either a 304 or a 258.  I have a world class T5 and it is rated for 335 ft.lbs so it's the best one there is.  I've had no issues with it but I haven't been drag racing or abusing it and I think it's fine for that, but if you plan on heavy use, then the above TKO's is the way you want to go.

Hope this helps.

Jim Boone
Mims, FL