Re: [AMC-list] Replacing Asian 5-speed for a 6-speed...

Re: [AMC-list] Replacing Asian 5-speed for a 6-speed...

" Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:05:49 -0500
" From: BOBBY DOUGLAS <dougrc1955@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Hello everyone... I have a 1992 Jeep Comanche...2x4 w/4.0, 5sp... would like
" to get rid of the Toyo Asian 5 sp for a nice 6 speed setup...  is there anyone
" out there that has done this before... or could anyone send me in some
" direction in doing this...  thanks...  Bobby

1. what don't you like about the 5sp?

2. the nsg370 used on wrangler rubicons suits a 4.0, but it's a 4x4
tranny.  2wd versions aren't rare as it's also widely used in mercedes
cars - but not here, so the parts you'd need also aren't here, though
if you had part numbers your mercedes parts dept can get them.

3. you could use the advance adapters 4.0 bellhousing with the gm
tranny pattern and a gm-pattern tranny, like say an aftermkt t56.

4. you could use a late-'70s/early-'80s amc/jeep bellhousing drilled
for the t150 3sp or t176/7/8 4sp.  these are ford toploaders and any
tranny meant to replace one will bolt up.

iirc the richmond 6sp is available in both gm and ford bolt patterns.

i don't think the 4.0 needs more gears, unless you plan on loading to
max -and- towing a 5000lb trailer.