Re: [AMC-list] Pacer 304 rebuild Parts?

        Thanks Russ and Ken. I will keep both of those in mind. And Ken, will I be able to see if that has happened to my tranny by the dust cover?

________________________________
From: russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2011 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Pacer 304 rebuild Parts?

I had a 258 stuck like a big ol' frozen turd.
I tried everything and finally resolved to rebuild the engine. I took off the head and the lifters were frozen. I pulled all but two out and the frozen ones had to be coaxed with WD40 and a screwdriver, luckily they were at the top of their strroke.
A clean up, new lifters and she ran good after that.
The V8 is easier to get to the lifters than the I6, so if you can't free it up externally, take off the intake and see whats going on inside.
By taking off all the pushrods you might be able to ease some tension off the engine. You might also try putting a breaker bar and socket on the crankbolt with some weight, spray the lifter area and let it sit for a couple of days, to introduce gentle but constant pressure to turn over the engine. Worked for me once.....Russ