Re: [AMC-list] Fw: Oh Darn. Gremi report

Marty Bricker <mbrickerusn@xxxxxxxxx> said:

>>Charged the battery and went to see if I could spin the motor with the
>>starter. No Joy. It won't engage the starter. So I crossed the terminals
>>on the solenoid still no Joy. I'm thinking the solenoid is bad.

You're probably right about the solenoid.

May rebuilt starters were rebuilt but they didn't re-wind or replace the solenoid, and at over 40 years old, the solenoid can't be blamed for feeling its age.

The easiest test is to take the starter out of the car, connect the ground cable to batt -, and hold the starter TIGHT (or clamp it to a vise), and touch the + to the terminal and watch to see if the gear goes all the way forward while the starter is spinning, AND STAYS THERE until you disconnect.  I've seen a few rebuilt ones off the shelf that couldn't hold the gear all the way against the bearing.

You should keep the battery well away from the starter while you do this; and if you get a nice spark when you touch the jumper to the terminal, you might need to twist a bit to disconnect it (the spark might be hot enough to melt the point of contact together slightly).

Most starters you find on older cars were rebuilt by two or three major remanufacturers, and Cardone was the biggest for a while -- and they were famous for this problem.

This photo might help:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Automobile_starter_2.JPG>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Automobile_starter_2.JPG

... or the article that goes with it:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starter_motor>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starter_motor

>>I'm also wondering if it has a clutch pedal lock out.

On a Gremlin?  No, AMC's never got that complicated.  Pre-Audi "sudden unintended acceleration" lawsuit-lotto fraud, and all that.

>>I'm encouraged, but I realize there's a lot of
>>mysteries to these old kars.

Once you get into them you'll find they are ridiculously simple compared to modern cars.

Have fun!

-- Marc

P.S.  Please note what some people refer to as the solenoid on the inner fender near the battery is actually a relay; the "solenoid" is still inside the satrter housing.  The relays rarely fail, but they are cheap if they do.  You can get new American-made ones from Motorcraft and Delco for under twenty bucks usually.  Chinocrap ones can be had for about $10.