Re: [AMC-list] AMC V8 Heat Riser

" From: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I have a confession to make, I rented a Nissan Altima a few weeks ago to
" drive down to Corpus Christi to visit brother. Good running car, great
" AC system, great gas mileage too. No key. That's right no key, you have
" little alarm thingie on chain that opens doors, locks doors, opens trunk
" and that is it. Once car is opened, ANYONE can start car as I found out
" when 8 year old Jacob pressed ignition switch. My first thoughts were
" 'uh, didn't RAMBLER have this push button crap on dash in early 1906s?'

yeah, push button -shifter-, for a/t.  mopar did too.  afaik the ign
was still keyed.

" Second thought was anyone could steal the car and I'm used to leaving my
" windows open on my AMCs...it is no big deal, and dissipates heat inside
" car and not like anyone will steal a AMC.
"
" But once car is unlocked, even seagull could start car, didn't like that
" feature.

i'm very surprised that's legal.  silly me, i thought cars were
required to have ignition -locks-...

and if the windows are open, can't you reach in and manually unlock
the doors?  maybe that'd set the alarm off - but if the engine is
started first...

" Something that really creeped me out on the Nissan Altima was
" inside the trunk has a 'emergency release' to pull in case you are
" carjacked and kidnapped and thrown in trunk. Think about that.

that's fairly common these days, might even be safety law.