---------
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 11:33:21 -0700
From: tom jennings<tomj@xxxxxxx>

well my rambler workings have crawled to a near, but not quite, halt. i'm
thinking of it as a long vacation.

i did finally get the "new" steering box assembled for the 63 American. was
an easy rebuild (though it took me 6 months). the only complication was, it
had been rebuilt some time in the past, and instead of pressing in a new
bronze bushing, someone bored out the casting and inserted a plain steel
bushing. did a good job, but it confounded bushing replacement. my solution
was to chuck the now-worn steel bush and bore it out to accept the stock
bronze bush.

it would be a tough thing to swap in any replacement. the box is very tiny,
about the size of a big fist -- seriously. given the odd geometry it would
be easier to put in import rack and pinion. that would be a better route, as
it's 6 turns lock to lock! that's 24:1.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"