Re: [AMC-list] headlight not lit

C The <kwtheaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> the ground post on the firewall was indeed crusty & the nut merely
>> hand tight, so with great hopes i took it apart
>> and shined all the parts up, put it back together
>> and pulled the headlight switch, and nothing
>> happened, which ya know, can it ever be that
>> easy?

Of course not.

>> - i did notice the park light fuse blown, which
>> i somehow missed the 13 times i checked it
>> or during all the mushing around it happened.
>> anyway replacing that got the park lights working
>> small victory, but progress.

Hey, you take victory where you find it.

>> - took the headlight connecters off and measure
>> ~8V at each. cleaned them up a bit put the
>> pass side back on, no change. dejected i
>> do the same to the driver side, measure put
>> back on, i crawl out from under the car
>> and that headlight is on! jeezopeete.
>>
>> repeating process w/the pass side, you
>> know hoping i get extra credit for repitiiton
>> but still not on.
>>
>> the high beam indicator now works correctly,
>> was alway on when lights on before, but
>> the hi beam doesnt come on on the driver
>> side.
>>
>> mmm, so either burned out, or could that
>> be due to a bad connection?
>>
>> the pass side could also be burned out,
>> but gee seems unlikely. i think i'll
>> purchase a headlight, could be good
>> backup one day anyhow.

You sound like me.  Warning: 1) you wind up with a garage full of "backup" parts you'll never use; and 2) headlight technology -- even for retro stuff like ours -- keeps getting better and better, so the longer you wait the better the product will be when you really do need one.

>> so any other suggestions, welcome,

One thing you should probably do is hold the headlamp in your hand and with your other hand hook up jumper wires directly to the terminals on the back of the headlights to verify that they work.

Another thing to do -- although you've probably already done it -- is to pull out the dimmer switch as well as the headlight switch, clean them both, and spray some WD-40 into them and then work them for a few minutes each.  They should both move pretty easily, with a very positive 'feel' at each detent.

G'luck.

-- Marc

P.S.  When I was fumbling with mine, I also read 8 volts at the lights.  Why would it be just 8 volts?  I don't see any resistance wire or resistor in the wiring diagram...