[AMC-list] Exploding Glass Redux

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 21:49:30 -0500
From: "Eddie Stakes" eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Funny you mention exploding door glass......my little 74 Hornet Sportabout
passenger glass blew up 2 weeks ago.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_AMX/74-hornet-42.jpg

I jumped in car to go to FedEx and rolled down driver side window, then
reached over to roll down passenger side window and BOOM right in my face.
Luckily I closed my eyes quickly as it blew all over face, down shirt,
inside car. The heat just took it out I guess, it has been 97-105 here for
over month...
So on fluke....I called Ten Acres Auto Salvage in Houston that I bought a 68
Javelin from....in 1984! They have a hotline service connected to about 350
junkyuards, salvage yards and what not in metro area, and a place called
Pete's Auto Salvage in Porter, Texas, about 50 miles up Hiway 59 had a door
glass, tint, on shelf, $35. It was dated on the tag showing it had been
pulled from a long ago crushed car back in 1985

2 days after my door glass blew out a customer emailed me from Portland, OR
asking if I have any back glass for a 2 door Rebel as his back glass
suddenly exploded also.
Eddie Stakes
< 713.464.8825 >

Sometimes, all it takes for this to occur in the single-ply tempered side glass is a tiny scratch or pit. Over time, the flaw creates a weak spot. A sudden bit of stress in the wrong spot, and -=ping=- the whole piece of glass breaks into little bits. The same thing happened to me with the rear glass in a 1982 Jeep Full Size Cherokee tailgate. I had just closed it preparatory to rolling up the glass. The glass company vacuumed it out as best they could but glass pebbles were falling out of the tailgate weep holes as long as I drove it .