Re: [AMC-list] A couple questions.

I can understand Mark's questions concerning flow. The 327 heads have relatively small valves and size can't be increased much due to valve and spark plug placement. That's one reason AMC didn't make a larger version of the engine, plus it was pretty heavy for its size. The valve sizes are fine for a mild 327 though.

Whether there's much increase in flow (or that increase is usable) is moot when economics come into play as Russ mentions. A used aluminum GEN-2/3 intake can be had relatively cheap compared to a 327 4V intake... sometimes. Just depends on what you run across and where! I've seen entire worn/locked-up/blown 327s go for pennies with the 4V intake and carb on them, but try to buy the intake alone and you run into what Russ is discovering! If you can make the adapter plates yourself at least you'll lose a few pounds off the front of the car by using an aftermarket AL intake vs. the factory iron intake, and maybe save a few bucks. If you have to pay a machine shop it's probably not worth the effort or money.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"