Re: [AMC-list] [BaadAssGremlins] pacer with 12 miles

Re: [AMC-list] [BaadAssGremlins] pacer with 12 miles

On the rust on the compressor and also radiator. Not uncommon....and I would bet first
time new owner if sold, fires up the AC that a whole lot of the black paint on compressor
simply flakes off. They were not painted well. Same with radiator, if you see the rust on
them, that also not uncommon. I had NOS AMC radiators in box start rusting simply because
the black paint had faded off so exposed metal. I spent $350 last year for a brand new
radiator for wife's 88 Eagle, and after week the black paint started flaking off. Go
figure. The rust on valave cover not uncommon either, as the lines above it obviously
scraped away some paint, so exposed metal. A look at the brake booster also shows rust on
untreated (natural) colored booster, and also on the black painted brake master cylinder.

A lot of this also will depend on where this car has been stored, especially if a area of
US, that has high humidity. AMC had a ton of 'natural' pieces in and around engine bay,
and even if car zero miles.....humidity would get to it...even if garaged....and cause
rust. Can vouch for that seeing new AMCs on dealership lots down in Corpus Christi in
1960s/70s.....the several dealer lots were one block from Corpus Christi bay....so the
dealers would wash the cars....every 2-3 days since salt spray get on them! Not regular
humidity but salty humidity!

I think some of the neatest things in the photos are the:
1. bland dog dish base hubcaps
2. sparkly glitterly cut pile carpet
3. glow of original Lustre Guard paint inside doors
4. clock delete plate
5. no breaks in door panels...these used to fall apart here in Texas after 2-3 years with oppresive heat like this week in the 100s....the plastic just got brittle quickly
6. car built neat end of production June 1977
7. radio delete plate.....never seen one in a Pacer....most dealerships would give you a AM radio free of charge even though a $100 accessory
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com