Re: [AMC-list] Hot?

With a stock 195° thermostat 205-210° is normal. It shouldn't run more than 215°. Make sure you have a good 16 psi radiator cap, that brings the boiling point up to around 240-250°. Traveling down the road at 35-50 mph the temp should stabilize around 195-200°, but 205° is still fine. You could try a 180° thermostat, that might bring temp down closer to 200°. Normally I wouldn't recommend it, but since you're in the Arizona desert it might be needed. The hotter the engine the more efficient it is -- to a point. That's why the 195° thermostat. 10-15° above thermostat opening is quite normal though. Some new cars have 205° thermostats and will run 215-220° on hot days (usually with AC on though). Make sure you have a fan shroud too, that helps a lot!

---------------
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 11:54:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: James Felton<feltonjk@xxxxxxx>

The restoration of my 70 AMX is essentially complete.  I do have a question regarding engine temp.  I put on an electric temp gauge.  The car has power steering, no A/C etc.  I have an aluminum radiator with less anti-freeze than distilled water in it (as you must do in Arizona, 50/50 mixture is too much anti-freeze).  I put "water wetter" in the radiator.  Stock fan.  The car runs at a temp of 205-210.  How does this compare to others out there?  Any concern about that temperature?  I would feel better if it ran a little cooler, what do you all think?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"