Re: [AMC-list] why is it?

3.08 seems to be a good ratio for towing with the Eagle. Maybe even 3.54 if you run tall tires. The Eagle wagon I parted to make my Spirit into an Eagle was WAAAY too low geared for non overdrive! The poor 4.2L SCREAMED at 60 mph w/o an O/D. The rear frame in the Eagle flexes too much compared to the Uniframe XJ or solid frame FSJ. The tow shop here tried to advise me against putting a receiver Class 3 on my Eagle (especially since they knew what my 3 ton bus/trailer was like, since they assembled it for me)

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] why is it?

" From: "Daigle, Marcus P SSG MIL USA FORSCOM" <drcool.daigle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" ----- Original Message -----
" From: "J. w." <sacranoidclub@xxxxxxxxx>

" Jason,
"
" It's the nature of the beast, that's is why they're always around when
" not needed.  I would figure a concord or eagle would have the same tow
" capacity as a jeep cherokee. They're about the same wheelbase and
" wieght.  That's my best guess.
"
" Marc Daigle

cherokees are geared better for towing, 3.54 with the 4.0 and even
3.73 with the early towing pkg.  eagles are geared for mileage, 2.35?
with the 258, concords probably similarly.  that said, a friend towed
a big keelboat on a 2-axle trailer with his eagle - but he couldn't
easily get it up into his steep driveway until he added a low range
unit to the t/c...